The garrison prison of Liepāja's Karosta was built at the beginning of the 20th century as a Navy hospital but has never been used as a hospital. In all times it has been used as a short term disciplinary penalty place for navy sailors and non - commissioned officers since the beginning of the 20th century.
Garrison sailors, who participated in the events of the revolution in 1905, served their sentence in the prison.
The building has been used as a short term disciplinary penalty place for sailors and non-commissioned officers by both the Soviet and Latvian Navy. The last of the convicts have scratched calendars, drawings, slogans, catchwords and messages on the walls of the cells just a short time ago, in 1997.
Address: Invalīdu iela 4, Karosta, Liepāja
Phone: +371 26369470
The Northern Breakwater
This hydro technical construction is closely connected with building of Liepāja's Navy fortress and Naval Port construction, and it is a very significant part of it.
It is 1800 meters long and 7.35 meters wide. The Northern breakwater was built at the end of 19th century.
The Northern Forts
The Northern Forts are a part of Liepāja's fortress. The fortress was built at the end of the 19th century and at the beginning of 20th century to provide the protection of Liepāja's naval base in case of enemy attack. The line of the outer fortification system surrounded the whole city.
In November of 1908, Tsar Nicholas II approved a decision to shut down the sea fortress in Liepāja. Some of the cannons were dismounted and brought to the Kaunas fortress in Lithuania, others were melted. There was an attempt to blow up the gun batteries, the underground structures and the gunpowder depots but this did not prove effective. So nowadays we can still see the remains of the newest and the most up-to-date fortress of the Tsar's Russia.